I've spent a surprising amount of time with R. "I get a hard-on for water sports and adolescents" Kelly's new 5 part melodrama/song, "Trapped In The Closet." I've still got
2 1 more parts to go. Once I got over waiting for Ron Isley to pop in there, a few things popped out for me:
1. I'm kinda fascinated by the moral code -- or lack of. Everyone's a cheater. Everyone's been shady and sneaking around. No one finds it that out of the ordinary their husbands are still out of the house at 7am. Yet I like the "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" aspect. The spoilers for part 4 have Kells getting a surprise in his bed which I find hilarious.
1a. The mock outrage. Since everyone's a cheat, you'd think they'd be above getting on their high horses about it.
2. The song is fundamentally absurd. If I got caught by a cuckolded husband, the last thing I'd do is wait around and see what his surprise is -- me waving a gun or not. It would've been a different -- and possibly more entertaining -- song if Chuck was only pretending to be the lover and ended up sticking Kells up with a gun. He should've been out of there almost immediately.
3. The names are just funny to me because I really don't think there's a black person under the age of 45 named Chuck, Cathy, or Rufus, so I was mentally visualizing Kathy being CCH Pounder (I actually have no idea if she's over 45 or not).
4. The most vivid mental connection I get when I hear this is like I'm listening to a "chitlin circuit" show. If someone made a script out of these songs and put it on at the Beacon, they'd be rolling in the dough. And now that I think of it....
4a. The throwaway lines are brilliant. "There's a mystery here and I'm gonna solve it!" "Don't give me that mack shit please." "Why don't I just go out the window?/Except for one thing: we're on the fifth floor/Shit...think...shit...think" "Brother spare me the detail" "I should've known you'd go and do some bogus shit up in my house!"
ETA: 5. Part 4 is total crap. Talk about a letdown! He couldn't go one song without reminding you he's the Twelve Play guy! It so better pick up for part 5.
6. The video for Part 1 is up. I'd say it's well done. I totally though Rufus was Farnzworth Bentley at first though!
Related sorta (yes and no) is that Anthony has walked himself right into a shitstorm. I'm wary of double-barrel shotgun blast type of bombast in the best of terms, but in this one I especially think the vitrol towards him is misguided. I've spoken my piece on it and I'm not defending much about his article's position, but saying that by giving them a tentative pass in one review you are saying yes to rape/patriarchy/subjugation is a real leap.